6 Degrees of Harry Potter
This is a little thing I like to call 6 degrees. According to the theory – everyone on earth is separated by only 6 people (The trick of course is finding the right six people). This game is a variation on the old six degrees of Kevin Bacon from a few years back. The premise is simple: find a pop culture reference and trace it back to a particular point – in our case the cast of the Harry Potter franchise.
We’ll start with the subject of my last post 1. Minnie Riperton.
Along with being an influential soul singer with songs to her credit such as I am the Black Gold of the Sun ( The link is actually a cover by Nuyorican Soul. I usually say go with the original but this an exception.) and Want You to Know ; Minnie is the mother of Maya Rudolph.
2. Maya Rudolph was a regular on Saturday Night Live. She is married to the director Paul Thomas Anderson – who’s movies include Boogie Nights, There Will be Blood and the upcoming The Master. Maya starred as the bride in the movie BridesMaids along with Melissa McCarthy, Ellie Kemper *, Kristen Wiig and Jon Hamm .
*Jon Hamm started his career as a high school drama teacher. One of his original students was his Bridesmaids’ co-star and Office regular Ellie Kemper.
3. Jon Hamm plays one of the most enigmatic and dynamic characters on television. He is Don Draper of Mad Men. The superbly written and executed show produced by Matthew Weiner follows the lives of Madison Avenue ad men in the 60’s. Season five of Mad Men finds Don’s fifties sensibilities being tested by the sweeping tide of sixties counter culture where youth is king. Apparently Tomorrow Never Knows and that has left our Mr. Draper struggling to maintain his power in his self-made world. Jon Ham stars along Jarred Harris who plays the displaced Brit Lane Pryce.
4. Jarred Harris also plays Dr. James Moriarty; the arch nemesis of Sherlock Holmes. It takes a minute to wrap your head around the fact that Lane Pryce is Dr. Moriarty but it becomes a testament to Mr. Harris’ acting chops. Purists have criticized Guy Ritchie’s handling of Sir Arther Conan Doyle’s original material but audiences have embraced the chemistry between Robert Downey Jr. and Jude Law.
5. Jude Law has played among others a repo-man, a sex-bot and a sky captain. Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow was a film that depicted your grandfather’s view of the future. Its cinematic mixed message failed to resonate with audiences but lavish visuals engage the imagination. Continuing with this past/future thing -the cast includes: a page right out Brad Pitt’s past with Gwyneth Paltrow as Polly Perkins and a page from his future- an eye-patched Angelina Jolie as Franky. One more person who stars in this film is Michael Gambon.
6. Michael Gambon plays Albus Dumbledore. This is how we play 6 degrees of Harry Potter.
to be continued…….